Thursday, January 14, 2016

14/01/2016: Ocean of opportunity: Chippewa County, US businessman converts dairy barn into shrimp operation

http://www.thecountrytoday.com/country_life/article_7d7ecd4e-b884-11e5-9df8-27643dec1940.html
When he was closing in on 50 years old, Mike Hable figured it was “now or never” if he was going to start his own business, Nate Jackson writes in The Country Today.

So, after about 27 years of dairy farming, Mike and his wife, Sally, opened Bohemian Ovens Brick Oven Bakery and Restaurant in Bloomer in 1997.

Now, a little more than 18 years later, Mr Hable decided the time was again right for a new business venture: Bohemian Ocean, a shrimp farm.

“I farmed for 27 years, and I can’t complain. But I al­ways wanted to have a bak­ery, so I thought by the time I was 50, I’d be too old to do something stupid like that. So I did it when I was 49,” Mr Hable said.

“Now, I’m 67 years old. I should be retiring, but I guess I can’t stand to not work 16 hours a day.”

Mr Hable had been thinking about raising shrimp for several years, but wasn’t aware of anyone doing it in Wisconsin until seeing an article in The Country Today (Page 1A, May 21, 2014) about Forbes Adam starting a shrimp farm in Westby. Mr Hable toured Adam’s operation before diving in to his own.

Read the full article HERE.

The Aquaculturists
This blog is maintained by The Aquaculturists staff and is supported by the
magazine International Aquafeed which is published by
Perendale Publishers Ltd

For additional daily news from aquaculture around the world: aquaculture-news

No comments:

Post a Comment